Friday, March 12, 2010

This Blog Endorses the Metric System


Maybe it's because New York makes me feel like I'm in Europe and like anything is possible (e.g. a city with a walking and transit culture), maybe it's because I've had this on my chest for a long time, but here goes. I'm sorry that my country still uses the "standard" system. It's long past time we joined the rest of the world in using the metric system.

According to Wiki "history's-most-reliable-source" Pedia only three countries in the world have not yet switched over to the metric system: the United States, Liberia, and Burma.

We all know the deal. Metric unit conversions are done by multiplying and dividing by ten (not by multiple random figures). Metric units have prefixes that suggest their meaning. Everybody else is doing it, so our switching over would facilitate trade. It would send a message that other people in the world can have good ideas too, and when they do America will respond, instead of persisting in its dinosaur measurements until the end of time. Best argument of all, we could have a "metric stimulus plan" to give jobs to people converting the nation's signs to metric and distributing educational pamphlets to the population.

I'm going to try to use metric in this blog, maybe alongside our archaic and obsolete system of measurement, maybe not.

FYI
1 meter = 3.3 feet
1 kilometer = 0.6 mile = about a 12 minute walk
1 hectare = 2.5 acres = about two football fields
100 kilometers/hour = 62 miles/hour

3 comments:

  1. Good on you. I grtew up with Imperial (British for 'standard') measurements but I never looked back after I moved to Germany...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Liberia recently metricated. Wikipedia is behind the times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. Now we're in a class of two :)

    ReplyDelete