Friday, May 28, 2010

Uninsured and Off My Bike

I'm currently enrolled in the preferred American health plan for people who have no money: DGS. Don't Get Sick.

I just got rejected for real health coverage for preexisting conditions (thanks Kaiser!) even though I would argue there's nothing that crazy in my medical history. I could go off on a rant about capitalism and for-profit health care, but others have done it better already.

I just wanted to point out that one consequence of this is that I'm afraid to ride my bike. Normally I take it to the grocery store. Now, I'm not so sure if I want to. I have a pretty safe route, but if something were to happen, I would be totally screwed.

So, cycling advocates, take note. I'd like to help ya, but DGS doesn't cover car crashes.

7 comments:

  1. San Francisco has health care for all. Perhaps you gotta look to your city councilpersons to adopt something similar. If you live in the city, ride your bike, get in an accident and dont have health insurance, you'll still get coverage for that arm break or broken collar bone - just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds pretty good. Hopefully I'll have some insurance again soon without having to move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the denial. That sucks big time.

    I rode for about 10 years with no insurance with no consequences. You are taking a chance; on the other hand, you're at far great risk of slipping in the shower than getting hurt while riding. And you're actually at just as much risk walking or driving to the market, if not more.

    The good news is, denying coverage for pre-existing conditions will be illegal by 2014, as long as GOP doesn't regain power and repeal it.

    Bottom line is, you can't sit around worrying about what might happen. All you can do is live your life and do your best to keep the rubber side down. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice. I'll think it over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ironically, you could be more likely to get sick if you miss out on physical activity, or to get injured by walking or driving. Ride your bike, and just make sure that you won't be at fault for any collisions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with bikinginla. Taking a bus is probably safer than biking, but driving is probably more dangerous, depending on the route. Also, are you exercising less since you stopped biking. Not exercising can lead to serious illnesses.

    I am in the same situation, and it is hard AND unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would probably walk or take the bus to the store instead. Most of my exercise comes from walking so I wouldn't miss too much by not cycling. Still, you guys raise a good point about the health risks of not cycling. I'm sure that extra exercise does me good.

    Maybe I just need to be super careful and I'll feel okay about it.

    ReplyDelete