Sunday, June 13, 2010

Transit Adventure in the OC

As I mentioned, I'm back in the boondocks, so I recently tried to venture into Orange County on the OCTA bus fleet. It worked out great: comfy seats, reasonable fare, beautiful beach views, except for one thing. On Sundays, on the route I took (line #1), it's an hour between buses.

This wasn't an issue on the way there. When transit service frequency is that crappy, you should look up a timetable. The problem hit me on the way back. I just missed a bus, knowing full well as I saw it tantalizingly close it would be an hour before the next one came. To add insult to injury, I probably would have made it if the intersection had been configured to allow pedestrians to cross in two directions at every corner.

Luckily I had a plan. Having anticipated just such a catastrophe, I busted out a book I had brought and got my read on at a bus stop which mercifully had both a bench and shade.

If I made a habit of riding OCTA routes like these, I'm sure I could get an English degree in my spare time.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, the torment of the 60-minute headway.

    When I'm out and about for leisure reasons, I don't mind infrequent service- it forces me to slow down and live in a more contemplative fashion. When I actually have to go somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. At least they have better service on weekdays. But getting people to try this out is going to be a hard sell unless they're very patient :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to think- here in Riverside, some key routes (14/25) are running 70-minute headways on weekends, and there's a community route in Hemet running 120's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 120s?! Damn. That's close to the worst I've ever heard of. (That honor goes to somewhere in rural San Diego County, which featured a line with two buses per day in each direction.)

    ReplyDelete