Friday, October 29, 2010

How I'll Be Voting This Tuesday

This Tuedsay, 2 November 2010 there will be an election. To vote you have to be registered. If you're not registered it's too late (in California) to vote in this election but you should do it TODAY anyway so that you can vote in the next one. This website shows you how. The form is here.

This is how I'm going to vote. You should make your own decisions despite what I think. This Official Voter Information Guide is very helpful. I'm in Los Angeles County but that's all I'll say about that.

Federal Offices

Senator:
Barbara Boxer (Democrat)


Initiatives

Prop 19 - Legalizes marijuana in California law
I'm opposed

Prop 20 - Redistricting reform
I'm opposed

Prop 21 - Increase in the vehicle license fee to pay for parks
I'm opposed

Prop 22 - Prohibits the state from borrowing local funds
I'm opposed

Prop 23 - Suspends a California law designed to combat climate change
I'm opposed

Prop 24 - Repeals recent business tax breaks
I'm in favor

Prop 25 - Reduces the vote requirement to pass the state budget from 2/3 to simple majority
I'm in favor

Prop 26 - Requires a 2/3 vote to raise state fees
I am very very very STRONGLY OPPOSED

Prop 27 - Another redistricting reform
I'm opposed


State Offices

Governor:
Jerry Brown (D)

Lieutenant Governor:
James "Jimi" Castillo (Green)

Secretary of State:
Ann Menasche (G)

Controller:
Ross D. Frankel (G)

Treasurer:
Charles "Kit" Crittenden (G)

Attorney General:
Peter Allen (G)

Insurance Commissioner:
William Balderston (G)

Member State Board of Equalization, 4th District:
Nancy Lawrence (Peace and Freedom)

President of the State Supreme Court
Tani G. Cantil-Sakauye (Yes)

Associate Justice of the State Supreme Court
Ming W. Chin (No)
Carlos R. Romero (Yes)


That was long, so if you want to hear my reasoning you'll have to ask me. Remember: you should vote, and you should vote after understanding what you're approving and rejecting.

2 comments:

  1. And of course, here I am to ask. :)

    An impressive slate of Green candidates- I didn't go that far this year, but I understand why you did. (I did vote for Frankel and Crittenden.)

    On the propositions, though, a few questions-

    Why No on 19? Why No on 21?

    Also, are you aware that, if you're opposed to redistricting reform, you should vote Yes on 27? (It repeals the misguided Prop 11 redistricting commission approved earlier this year- the one that 20 would extend to congressional districts.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no on 19 because I think it will probably make pot cheaper and thus lead to more impaired driving, which I fear will negatively impact road safety. I was torn on this one, because there are good arguments for legalization, but this is how I came down.

    My decision on Prop 21 does seem a bit surprising. However, my view is that if we're going to increase fees on cars it would ideally not be done in a regressive way and the money should go to something more directly related to dealing with the environmental damage caused by cars. It's a tough economic time, and I don't want to increase the cost of driving to pay for something that most people probably view as a luxury right now.

    On redistricting I'm against both because I want to keep the commission doing what it's doing now (state-level redistricting) but stop it from doing federal-level redistricting on the idea that maybe it's better to keep legislators from drawing their own districts, but not those of others. This is a flip-flop for me since the last election if I'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete