Sunday, June 5, 2011

$3,985.59

$3,985.59. That's how much money I've ever spent repairing and maintaining my car (not adjusted for inflation). Some of it is normal stuff and some of it is what I'd consider extraordinary bad luck (combined with crappy insurance).

I've had the car for about four and a half years. It's a compact car I bought used, and in that time I've driven it about 18,000 miles. That works out to about 22 cents per mile for repairs.

People love to whine about the price of gas and love to forget about all the other costs of driving. My car gets about 30 miles per gallon so my cost for gasoline is about 13 cents a mile at $4 a gallon. That's significantly lower than my cost for repairs. Gas would have to cost $6.60 a gallon before my per mile cost for gas was 22 cents.

I've now spent more money repairing my car than I spent to buy it. Life's funny sometimes. I really want to get out of suburbia so I have some good transportation options again. But, until the job situation improves, I'll make good friends with my mechanic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment