Sunday, July 24, 2011

New Geography to Urban Boosters: You Will Assimilate, Resistance is Futile

To educate yourself about the Borg please click here.

Welcome to the blogroll New Geography! The New Geography is, as far as I can tell so far, a pro-sprawl advocacy blog. Since this is pretty much a pro-urbanism advocacy blog, I figured I'd try to compensate to some extent for how flagrantly biased I am.

The ideas of our opponents (not enemies, opponents) are important. They help us keep our thinking sharp. They can also be uncomfortable to digest. I'm a firm believer in the idea of confirmation bias. That is to say, we tend to gravitate towards ideas that we agree with and reject, or scrutinize more closely, ideas that we disagree with. To fight against this takes discipline, and for me, reading the New Geography takes a lot of discipline.

I hope you take a look at this post, entitled "Why America's Young and Restless Will Abandon Cities for Suburbs". In it, Joel Kotkin basically argues that once people grow up and have kids they abandon cities for suburbs in search of things like good schools (which could never exist in cities right?). Furthermore, he argues that people are voting with their feet and expanding the suburbs and exurbs at the expense of denser traditional cities.

Is he right? Am I right? I don't know. All I know is when I read it I couldn't stop thinking about the Borg, and I hear us young'uns don't like being told what to do.

New Geography, may you be the Coke to my Pepsi, the Celtics to my Lakers, the Borg to my Federation, and the 1950s to my New Urbanism. I salute you. Write on, and so will I. May "the truth" emerge from our glorious battle :)

2 comments:

  1. You've got it flipped around. Coke is the good side, standing against the usurper Pepsi with tradition and flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, well congrats on your epic train vacation anyway.

    ReplyDelete