Sunday, February 26, 2017

Yes On Measure H

Los Angeles County is holding an election on Tuesday, March 7th, 2017.  As always, you need to be registered to vote in order to vote.  So, if you can register, and you haven't yet, get it done so your voice can be heard.

Based on the part of LA County I live in, the only thing on my ballot was Measure H (I already mailed in my "yes" vote).  Measure H would add a 0.25% sales tax for 10 years to pay for housing subsidies and support services for formerly homeless people.  I say it should be permanent, but 10 years is better than nothing.  According to the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority's 2016 homeless count, nearly 47,000 people are homeless in LA County, an increase of 5.7% from the previous year.  That's a lot of people, but the statistics don't really make it hit home.  If you've ever walked around Downtown Los Angeles, and increasingly many other parts of the County, you know that the devastation of people living on the street is a moral crisis that we should not continue to turn away from.  Many people who are homeless are struggling with addiction, mental illness, domestic violence, or just good old fashioned poverty.  The housing market in these parts is getting more and more unforgiving by the day.  Our mild climate is a draw for homeless people who would more easily succumb to the elements in other parts of the country.

There is so much you could say to argue for this, but I will defer to the Book of Matthew:

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me . . . Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment